Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A child's view

This morning, my wife, Amy, was talking with my oldest daughter (4 yo) about going to the local library for a weeky (monthly?) reading time program. But, being since they've not gone before, she'd had to call first to see if any preregistration is required.

Mom/Amy: We'll plan to go, but first I have to call the library to see if we have to register first.

Daughter: Do you mean call the library the building or the library the people?

First, as a parent, I'm amazed at how often children constantly remind us about being literal. Say what you mean, not what adults know what you mean.

Secondly, I wonder about the thought process of my daughter when she heard my wife. She processed that, the library is a building, but you can't ask a building. So, she sought clarification on what my wife really meant.

There is nothing more fun (nor rewarding, of course) than being a parent.

-- Michael

No comments: